Nine players competed for the club at the Ultimate Open, this was the latest Grand Prix event re-arranged from December.
- Rachel Towle A U28kg – Gold
- Erin Peden A U32kg – Silver
- Rachel Peden AA U36kg – Silver
- Christopher Love A U38kg – Silver
- Benedict MacLennan-Patton A U46kg – Silver
- Laura Green B U52kg – Silver
- Michael Love C U55kg – Bronze
- Ruairidh Fitzpatrick C U66kg – Bronze
A fantastic effort with all our players competing really well.
Well done all.
The training session scheduled for Friday 4 March 2010 at Bishopton has been cancelled owing to another event being held in the Scout Hall on that date.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.
If you need any more information about this please contact Susie.
Christopher Wright went to Japan to train in December 2010.
He says that once again this was a tremendous experience and the best thing he has ever done. He had the opportunity to watch the Tokyo Grand Slam the first couple of days he was there and watched Euan Burton win Bronze.
The training was at Tokai University, who had 4 gold medalists at the Tokyo Grand Slam this year.
He trained with the best in the world, and says it was the best experience but the hardest training he has done, with 7 minute hard practices where he got thrown about a fair bit.
He also trained at the Kodakan, the home of judo, which was a great experience.
Chris gives a heartfelt thank you to everyone in the club who stood and bag-packed in Morrisons in order for him to have this opportunity and hopefully in the future some of the older players in the club will have the same chance in the next couple of years.
We have a gallery of pictures taken by Chris here.
Excellent results from a very tough competition.
- Under 28kg Girls – Rachel Towle Gold
- Under 32kg Girls – Erin Peden Bronze
Christopher Love reached the quarter-finals in a very tough weight category (U-12 U38kg).
Michael Love won an impressive fight in a new weight category (U-16 U-55kg).
Ruairidh Fitzpatrick won one fight in an extremely tough category (U-16 U-66kg).
Christopher Wright won two fights in U-20 U-66kg.
A number of parents report that the social side of the event went very well!
The organisers are to be congratulated on a well-run event.
Congratulations to Hollie Murray – promoted to 1st Mon.
Judo Scotland has re-opened entry for the postponed Ultimate Judo Open (13/02/2011). If you missed getting your entry form in on time first time round then there’s still a chance to go.
As ever, before entering the competition consult with Susie to make sure that the competition is at a suitable level for your child.
Details and the entry form are on the Judo Scotland website.
A New Year and a load of competitions coming up where Clyde Judo Club will be looking to attend:
- 2011 U20 British Trials 22 January 2011 – Mentioned for completeness as only one player is going and he knows who he is!. The entry form is here.
- Midland Area U20 Competition 29-30 January 2011 – This competition is recommended for Age Band C and D and would be very good experience for Age Band A & B. The entry form is here.
- North-West Area Age-banded Competition 19-20 February 2011 – This is a good competition for Age Bands B-D. The entry form is here.
- Kendal Kyu & Mon Grade Competition 27 February – This is an excellent competition for less experience players or those who have never been in a competition. The competition ignores “the normal weight categories” and puts “players of similar weight and ability together in a pool of four or five”. Highly recommended as an introduction to competition. The entry form is here.
We will also be attending the postponed Ultimate Open Judo competition on 13 February 2011.
Please let Susie know if you plan to enter any of these competitions (and before you send off the money).
Please note that the last training session before the Christmas holidays will be on Friday 17 December 2010.
Training will resume on Friday 7 January 2011. Tuesday 11 January 2011 at Erskine. Please note that the first session at Bishopton will now be on Friday 14 January 2011.
We wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
We (children and parents) all had a great time last night at the Clyde Judo Club Christmas Party.
Many thanks go to the organiser and those who brought along the food.
The evening consisted of a ceilidh, games for the children, buffet supper and the Clyde Judo Club Awards ceremony.
A well-known Judoka visited from the North Pole.
The awards are given in a number of categories and recognise achievement throughout the year.
The 2010 Clyde Judo Club Award winners are:
‘Spirit of Judo’ 2010
Connor Wilson for always having a smile on his face no matter the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.
Player of the Year 2010
A joint award for Rachel Towle and Erin Peden for outstanding performances throughout the year.
Best Junior Male 2010
Best Junior Female 2010
Best Under-8 Player 2010
Best Club Player 2010
Best Single Performance 2010
This went to Keiran Meenan for his performances in the Scottish Age Band Championships, where Keiran demonstrated a new level of ability, winning a medal and qualifying for the British Championships.